Slash Central
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Daddy's Hands.

2 posters

Go down

Daddy's Hands. Empty Daddy's Hands.

Post by Angel Precious McDaniel's Sat May 28, 2011 3:29 am

It had come, Dustin McDaniel's had died and left behind a legacy of hard work, a farm and home to his family, and four sons, a husband, and many friends. The funeral would be in a week, not one person seemed normal but hopefully after they had laid Dustin to rest people could get on with their lives.
Right now the oldest boy, Dewayne was at his home he shared with his fiance David. He was moping around, sitting out on his porch and simply thinking. He didn't know what to do but something told him today he and his brothers should go ahead and go to their home, see if they needed to give anything away or what. They were all supposed to be there at around six thirty and it was six now so Dewayne stood up, brushed off his denim genes and took off down the road in his old ford...
The one Dustin had bought him for his eighteenth birthday.
He was the last one there, Devin, Kelton and Lance already in the yard, just standing around and waiting, none to eager to get started. This was a task none wanted to do, this would mean their father really was never coming back and it ate at their hearts. Dewayne got our of his truck and gave a small smile to his brothers.
"Hey..."
They smiled back but not one of them actually looked happy for any reason. He kissed their foreheads and lead them inside. They would start in his room...
His room was a nice size, as was most of the home. Dewayne stepped in and took a look around, suddenly lost in his memories.
He remembered, as a little boy, his daddy would tuck him in every night but before that he would kneel at the edge of the bed, clasp his cracked and callused hands together, then proceed to prey. It was a ritual they did together from the time he was four till he moved out to live with David.
Dewayne wanted to cry, thinking about how now...even if he wanted to come back home and spend the night, his father would not be here to say a prayer with him before bed. His brothers all could pretty much tell he was having a moment so they stood back and just wanted their older brother. Dewayne suddenly laughed, it wasn't loud, just a fond chuckle as he remembered a certain night of his childhood.
Dewayne was six, it was late, a warm night with all the stars twinkling in the sky. The small boy had woken up in a hot sweat, his eyes darting about the room, tears hit him, and he didn't even notice he had been calling for his father until Dustin burst into the room. His father was dirty and smelled like fresh hay and moist dirt, a smell he had become associated with as the smell of comfort and safety. Dustin scooped his son up into his strong arms, pressing Dewayne to his chest and running his dirt covered fingers through the boys short hair.
"Shhhh Dewayne baby, whats wrong?" The man had asked in his deep accent laced voice.
"I-I had a ni-night mare that y-you and momma bo-both left me alone!!" The boy cried, hugging his father tightly.
Dustin paused and shook his head, pulling back so he could look into his son's deep chocolate eyes.
"Dewayne McDaniel's, you know ah'll never leave ya baby, why do ya think ah work all day?"
"S-So....B-Because...I-I don't know..." The boy sniffled.
Dustin sat the boy back and held out his hands, taking his son's in his own.
"Ya feel mah hands baby?"
"Y-Yes sir?....."
"Ya feel how their all rough?"
"Y-Yes daddy."
"Thats from all the hard work ah do so ah can take care of ya. I work so that you will always have what you need and wouldnt do that if ah was jus going to leave you one day baby."
"O-Oh..." Dewayne nodded, running his small fingers over the large worn hands.
"Tay but I have one more question..." Dewayne looked up at him.
"And whats that?"
"C-Can I sleep with you tonight?"
Dustin's laugh rang out as he stood and lifted Dewayne in his arms, carrying him off to bed.
Dewayne was crying, his brother decided instead of bother him, they would let him get it out and come check on him later. The boys moved on.

They passed the living room where Lance stopped and stared much like Dewayne had, simply looking into one spot, his eyes glazed over in memory.
Lance remembered sneaking down one night at Christmas, trying to catch a glimpse at Santa Clause....
This night had been a cold one, Lance was wearing some blue flannel pajamas that were two sized to big as he crept out of his room, his feet like ice as they laid flat against the seemingly frozen wooden floor. He had heard some noise from down stairs and it just had to be Santa Clause! Lance had to see so he could prove to Dewayne the jolly old man really did exist, so he had tiptoed out of bed and crawled to the banister, peeking down only too see his parents. He watched closely as his father, dressed up in a red suit like Santa would wear but only he was missed the large belly and the white curly beard, lead his mother around the living room floor, his fathers arms tight around his mother as they dance like they were at a ball. Lance smiled at the site, and he watched for a long time his parents, dancing laughing, sharing sweet little kissed and keeping warm pressed against each other until he noticed that under the tree his father had cut down and he and momma had decorated was full of presents, wrapped in bright colors with big bows on top.
The small boy couldn't help himself, he bounced up and squealed.
"PRESENTS!!"
Of course Dustin immediately got in front of Chris to protect him, waiting for some big guy to burst in but all he found was a small body and a head fully of bouncy brown curls fly past them and to the tree.
"Lance?" His father had turned to look at him as if he had grown another head.
"Yes daddy?"
"Where did you? How long have you? Child shouldn't you be in bed?"
Chris was laughing at him, his arms around his husbands waist.
"Yes daddy but Santa came, look!!" Lance waved one of the smaller presents at him.
Dustin just laughed and nodded, pulling Chris over to sit with his son beside the tree. "Yeah, I see son." The couple watched their baby tear into present after present, only even more giddier at the next one until he had opened them all and he was tired. Dustin shook his head and pulled Lance into his chest.
"Cmon squirt, play tomorrow, your too tired now."
Lance tried to object but he really was tired. "But daddy...oh! one more thing?"
"What babe?"
Lance pulled from his arms and scrambled upstairs, coming down with two small, sloppily wrapped boxes. He handed one to each of his parents and waited.
Chris tentacle opened his only to give a small squeak to see his son had gotten him a little bracelet he had made with the kit his father had bought him that read "Best momma ever." Chris hugged his baby, as proud as he could be of the little bracelet. Dustin opened his own which read "Worlds greatest daddy." He slipped his own and picked his son up, kissing his cheek and after Chris had done the same he carried Lance up to bed and tucked him in.
"Good job baby...Love you."
It had been that last thing Lance had heard from him that Christmas night.
Lance had forgotten so much he had loved about his father since he had gotten with Riley. He had always been so mad because of how Dustin acted he didn't remember how sweet and good his father was too him always.
And again, the remaining boys left another sibling staring into space and crying.

They happened to pass Dustin and Chris's bed room, where Devin stopped and looked around the room just as his brothers had, a flood of memories hitting him hard. He remembered well coming home some nights when he had broken from Lane, his lover calling him Alex, and how Dustin held him tightly and lead him to this room, one night especially when he had so upset he had just collapsed in the living room and how Dustin had run down the stairs so fast to see him. He had just sobbed into his fathers chest, knowing Dustin had already guess what was wrong with him. His father had taken him into this room, laid him down and rocked him through the night, singing sweet lullaby's to his until he had fallen asleep. But one other prominent time stood out.
Devin couldn't have helped himself, he had stricken Chris in the face. The man had fallen back on his ass, looking up at Devin with a deep frown. Devin couldn't be any more pissed off at him. He was making the fact that his father was dying seem like it was nothing....
His daddy wouldn't be coming back.
Dustin growled and took his son by the arm, pulling him up the stairs. Even though he was sick, losing hair, weight and muscle, he was so strong.
Dustin yanked off him belt quickly, pulled away Devin's jeans and underwear before unleashing the best on his ass, whipping Devin like he n ever had before. Dustin would not have Devin hitting Chris and would make sure Devin knew not to do this, even after he was gone. Devin was not one to cry but he was, tears coursing down his cheeks as the belt came done on his ass for what seemed like the millionth times, leaving another red welt.
"D-Daddy!!" Devin finally wailed, he got one more lick before Dustin threw his belt down, taking his son up, grabbing his chin roughly, and looking into his eyes.
"You listen to me Devin! You do not EVER put your hands on him you hear me? I don't give a damn, unless he is going to hurt you your hands and whatever else had better not dare touch him!" Dustin growled deeply.
Devin cried hard and nodded. "Y-Yes sir!"
Dustin's eyes quickly softened and he pulled his son to his chest, rubbing his back.
"Shhh Devin what did he do anyways honey?"
Devin took his time to answer, it was hard to speak through the onslaught of tears.
"H-He made it s-se-seem that it wasnt a bi-big deal that you w-were dying and ne-never coming back!"
Dustin's heart broke, his arms tightened around Devin.
"That gives you no right to hit him but baby, he is doing it for me, he knows I don't want anyone bothering over me, so he was trying to play it off as nothing because I like it that way..."
Devin just cried harder. "D-Daddy, your leaving! I-Its not fair! Your never su-supposed to leave me!"
Devin was finally letting it all out like hadn't since he had heard the news.
"Awww baby, ill always be in your heart..."
"B-But who will hold me and love me when Lane hurts me? Wh-Who will coddle my babies like a grandparent is supposed to? Wh-Who will go riding with me a-and..."
Dustin shushed him, pressing a kiss to his hair and hugging him tighter, refusing to believe those were his tears on his cheeks.
Devin sat on the edge of the bed and cried, ignoring Kelton who was still standing and looking at him sadly, Kelton moved on, the last boy...

Kelton stepped outside, looking out over the long fields his father had worked every day and the pasture he was proud of. Kelton had never gotten the love his brothers had because Dustin was just never really sure about him but now that Kelton thought about it, how come Dustin continued to work so hard when all his other kids had a man who would provide for them. At that moment, Kelton realized he was loved by his father, maybe not like his brothers were but he did get love. If not Dustin wouldn't have worked so hard for so long. He wouldn't have worked until his hands bled. His father sacrificed time with his family to work so he and Chris would have all they needed when was gone. Kelton had no sweet memories like his brother but the simple thought of his father loving him made him burst into tears. He wished he would have realized this sooner when his father was still alive but it was too late. But now he could do the one thing his father had wanted them all to do in his absence. He would love his brothers, take care of them but not only that, he would treat Chris right like his daddy always taught them to, prayed they would. He would take care of his momma from now on....

The day of the funeral came, all boys dressed nice in suits addressed the guests at the end. Devin took the mic and smiled tearfully.
"Before you all go, me and my brothers would like to share a song we all wrote for our daddy so here it is, its called daddy's hands." He nodded, picking up the guitar Zac had taught him to play while Kelton grabbed his own, they strummed and bit and Dewayne started off.

"I remember Daddy´s hands, folded silently in prayer.
And reaching out to hold me, when I had a nightmare.
You could read quite a story, in the callouses and lines.
Years of work and worry had left their mark behind."

Dewayne wiped his eyes roughly, humming along with the tune and stepping back so Lance could step forward to sing his portion of the song.

"I remember Daddy´s hands, how they held my Mama tight,
And patted my back, for something done right.
There are things that I´ve forgotten, that I loved about the man,
But I´ll always remember the love in Daddy´s hands."

Lance gave a tearful laugh, hugging Dewayne tightly and crying into his big brothers chest, waiting for Devin to carry on with his part.

"Daddy's hands were soft and kind when I was cryin´.
Daddy´s hands, were hard as steel when I´d done wrong.
Daddy´s hands, weren´t always gentle
But I´ve come to understand.
There was always love in Daddy´s hands."

Devin wore a small smile, it was for his father he smiled, his daddy always said he loved it when he could get those special smiles out of him and he was giving one now. He nodded to Kelton as he part started up.

"I remember Daddy´s hands, working 'til they bled.
Sacrificed unselfishly, just to keep us all fed.
If I could do things over, I´d live my life again.
And never take for granted the love in Daddy´s hands."

All the boys looked over at the large picture of their father and grinned as they all joined in to sing the remainder of the song.

"Daddy's hands were soft and kind when I was cryin´.
There was always love in Daddy´s hands.
Daddy's hands were soft and kind when I was cryin´.
There was always love .....
In Daddy´s hands."

Last edited by Angel Precious McDaniel's on Sat May 28, 2011 11:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Angel Precious McDaniel's
Angel Precious McDaniel's

Back to top Go down

Daddy's Hands. Empty Re: Daddy's Hands.

Post by Gabriel Johnson Sat May 28, 2011 7:56 am

Damn you.
Will you quit making me cry *whine*
but this was amazing and I loved it
you are so fucking talented, your writing is wonderful <333
Gabriel Johnson
Gabriel Johnson

Back to top Go down